Why does Congress Realty seem more “involved” than other competing companies?
The MLS is a database created for Realtors(R) by Realtors(R). It is there to help Realtors(R) cooperate with each other. We try to explain to all homeowners upfront exactly what the MLS is. Much of our competition tries to paint a false picture of the MLS being some sort of FSBO safe haven. The fact is that limited service listings make up less than 10% of all MLS listings. The other 90% are traditional full service listings. So how does this relate to the question above?
We want to help homeowners sell properties. We are not in the business of simply listing them on the MLS only to see them never sell. The fact of the matter is that on occasion, other Realtors(R) want to talk to us. We are happy to talk to Realtors(R) to help ease any concerns they have. This holds true on Saturdays and Sundays. If a Realtor(R) has an offer and for whatever reason they want to fax or email the offer to our brokerage instead of handing it to the homeowner… No problem. We will gladly accept the fax/email and forward the offer to the homeowner via email as a PDF attachment.
This is something I can’t stress enough. All Flat Fee Listings ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! Whomever you list your property with, make sure they are available 7 days a week to receive and present all offers. In states like CO, TX, UT, and NE, many agents simply won’t present an offer to the owner directly. They want to speak with the Realtor(R) prior to submitting the offer. For whatever reason, talking to a real person who is licensed seems to put their minds at ease in presenting the offer. Remember, the goal is to sell your property…not just list it on the MLS.
Lastly, beware of any company that promises you that all offers will go to you directly. This simply isn’t true and violates licensing law. All brokers must be available to receive and present all offers in every single state. (this holds true for Discount brokers, Full Service Brokers, and Flat Fee Brokers) If another licensee presents an offer to the listing broker, it must be presented to the seller by the listing broker. The listing broker may not refuse to present the offer and force the other Realtor(R) to present the offer to the seller directly.